Monday 15 June 2015

Affects of Perfume

 
Are perfumes really what they say to be? After looking through an article about the
effects of fragrances and what they can do I'm not sure if I want to use them again.
 
 
It says that normal perfume has up to 3000 chemicals and dozens of complex mixtures. Even the so called "scent free" fragrances and deodorants aren't actually scent free, they will have even more chemicals then your leading fragrances! This is because they will have to put in masking agents to cover up the scent. To add on top of all that, thousands of these chemicals haven't been tested for toxics, alone or in a combination. This maybe why someone get irritations or allergies when wearing or near certain perfumes.
 
The number one chemical that is being used in perfumes, due to its long lasting and cheap qualities, would be diethyl phthalate also known as DEP. With this cheap chemicals comes the repercussions on hormones. The hormones are effected in both male and female, showing early stages of puberty in girls and low sperm count in boys. It can also affect the development of male fetus, if the mother was exposed during her pregnancy. Another thing that was mentioned in this article was the study done with asthmatics. That nearly 3 out of 4 individuals were more prone to attacks than normal. This also points to suggest that exposure to these chemicals such as DEP can aggravate asthma and even develop it in young children.
 
Personally being someone with asthma I have noticed which ones have worsen my conditions or have made it hard to breath. I have always used natural products and have stayed away from the ones that make it unbearable. But do you think that these products should be on the shelve if they can cause such damage to our health?
 







2 comments:

  1. I am constantly getting sent free products for school but after reading this I think I will be buying natural deodorant from now on. Personally I find products with a strong scent give me a headache or make my eyes water and burn so I stay away from them. I really don't think most scented products should be on the shelf for people to buy. They might not be directly harmful to the individual buying they are harmful to the people around them and that is not fair. There are natural options that work just as well, but I think people are still buying the artificial ones because they are cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am constantly getting sent free products for school but after reading this I think I will be buying natural deodorant from now on. Personally I find products with a strong scent give me a headache or make my eyes water and burn so I stay away from them. I really don't think most scented products should be on the shelf for people to buy. They might not be directly harmful to the individual buying they are harmful to the people around them and that is not fair. There are natural options that work just as well, but I think people are still buying the artificial ones because they are cheaper.

    ReplyDelete